Saturday, January 5, 2008

Hot Sugared Donut Holes meets Intellectuality

While this blog doesn't really have a point other than to satiate narcissistic tendencies, I'm going to make an attempt to bring some intellectuality into it. You read me correctly, Intellectuality. According to Blogger it is a word, as there isn't a dotted red line underneath it. But I digress from the intellectual...

So I just finished another Vonnegut novel: Slapstick. It's perfect Vonnegut. I don't think I'm cool enough to catch every subtle nuanced meaning from his brilliant books, but I can scrape the surface and glean some deep entertainment from them.

As one who frequently cites, "those who fail to learn from history are condemned to repeat it" whenever I'm pissed off by the current powers that be, I found this response in Slapstick to be most therapeutic:

"History is merely a list of surprises. It can only prepare us to be surprised yet again."

I must dedicate the following Slapstick excerpt to Erin:

"Fascists are inferior people who believe it when someone tells them they're superior."


And this to Jon, the original Vonnegut fan:

"You are so ugly, you're the sexiest thing I ever saw."


And this possible eggcorn root to Mark:

"He looked up at last, and I was amused to see that he was the spit and image of his grandfather, Dr. Stewart Rawlings Mott..."

Sincerely,
an overdressed little sparrow-fart

Technorati icon

No comments: